Home Car Accidents Hazardous Roadway

Advocating for Victims of Charleston Hazardous Roadway Accidents

Some roads are simply more dangerous to drive on than others. Roadways that are poorly designed or maintained can cause serious accidents. After a crash caused by road hazards, you may be wondering who could be held liable for your accident and injuries. Contact an experienced Charleston car accident lawyer at (843) 882-5005 to find out about your options under the law.

As a smaller client-focused firm, we treat clients as real people — not file numbers”
- Julian Allen

What Common Road Hazards Do South Carolina Drivers Face?

Defects can occur on all types of roads, from residential streets to interstate highways. Some are the result of poor design, while others develop with inadequate maintenance. Hazards drivers may face on South Carolina roads include:

  • Falling rocks
  • Worn pavement
  • Large potholes
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Road debris
  • Poor drainage
  • Missing guardrails
  • Missing or improper signage
  • Narrow shoulders
  • Faded or missing lane markers

Who Is Liable for Hazardous Roadway Accidents?

When a traffic crash is caused by a road hazard, the government entity responsible for maintaining the road may be liable for resulting injuries. Depending on the type of hazard, other parties may potentially be liable. For example, the hazard that caused your accident may be the result of road construction or a semi-truck spilling cargo onto the road. Our Charleston hazardous roadways attorney can thoroughly investigate your accident to determine fault and liability.

What If the Government Is Responsible for Your Accident?

If your accident was caused by faulty road design or poor maintenance, the city, county, state, or federal government entity responsible for the road may be liable. Government entities are responsible for keeping the roads reasonably safe by servicing them and repairing them as needed. To recover compensation, your attorney will have to show that a dangerous condition existed on the road that the government should have known about and corrected, with the dangerous condition causing or contributing to the accident and damages.

Different rules apply when you are seeking compensation from the government rather than from private individuals or businesses and their insurance companies. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable lawyer as soon as possible after a wreck caused by a roadway hazard.

What Forms of Compensation Are Available for a Hazardous Roadway Crash?

After a serious crash caused by dangerous road conditions, you may be entitled to seek compensation from the responsible parties. Depending on the circumstances and who is liable for your accident, you may have the option of filing a claim with an insurance company or filing a lawsuit against the at-fault party in civil court. The damages you are eligible to claim will depend on various factors, including the nature and severity of your injuries. Common damages in car accident cases include:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages or earnings
  • Loss of future earning potential
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of consortium (benefits a spouse is entitled to receive from a partner)

How Can a Charleston Hazardous Roadway Attorney Help?

Determining liability for a crash caused by a road defect can be complicated. If the liable party is a government entity, the process of recovering compensation can become even more complex. Your best chance of being fully compensated for your losses is to have an experienced Charleston personal injury attorney handling your case. Our Charleston hazardous roadway attorney can investigate your accident to determine liability, assess the full extent of your damages, and effectively handle your claim for compensation while you recover from your injuries.

At Allen Law, we have a history of success for our clients. Founding attorney Julian Allen has been awarded membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Contact us at (843) 882-5005 for skilled representation after a hazardous roadway accident.